Friday, July 24, 2009

The New Book, So Far

I figured someone might as well get around to saying something about the new book (Running With Scissors) we are all reading. We are all reading it right? I know I am. It's going along pretty easily. It's light, and funny, and easy-going even though the subject matter can be a little morbid. But then every now and then it gets really gross. I don't mean to be a prude here, and I don't want to ruin it for you with description, but I wonder: Do we really need all the intricate details of what it feels like to be raped? I'm not sure that I do. I'm pretty sure it could have gone like this:

Chapter 8 (or whatever chapter)

I was raped.

Chapter 9...

I would have felt pretty bad already. That would have sufficed. I'm almost done with this book now. And I intend to finish it. But I really hope it's going somewhere. I wonder why there are so many books these days about how horrible people's lives are? Does nobody have a good life any more? Or is it just that nobody wants to buy books like that. I can't really say that I haven't enjoyed this one myself. Maybe we all do love watching the train wreck.

Just a thought.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I am finding the book to be a bit disgusting myself. I had really enjoyed the book, "The Glass Castle" even though her life was so tragic----yet it tended to uplift me!


But this one. I don't find it funny----sorry---just a bit gross and sick and wrong!

Will try to finish it, though....

p.s. I am posting the August book next week!!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I made the mistake of taking the book with my to lunch the other day. What chapter was I on? The one where Augusten first arrives at the Finches' house. It was all I could do to finish eating.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. And I'm not quite done, but I will be this weekend. I know that goes into August, and I'm sorry about that!