Saturday, August 29, 2009

Warning!

I will talk about the end of The Hunger Games in this post so don't read it if you haven't finished yet.

First of all, I'm really excited about The Shack. I started reading it last night, and this will be a quick simple read for all of us. Way to go KaraLee! How did you get such great taste in books?

As far as the hunger games go I really like Katniss. One of my favorite things about her is that she is very sharp and smart, even though she doesn't really know that. She learns to survive in her own day to day life with her mother and sister without batting an eye lash. So of course when she steps up to the plate and takes her sisters place in the hunger games I know she will give everyone a run for their money.

I also like how everything is set up. How the districts don't interact with each other, but for whatever reason they will all listen to the capitol. The entire thing puts me in a weird and strange world I can't really understand.

Peeta is by far my favorite character though. I'm not sure what there is about him, I think he is very wise and knows what he is doing most of the time. The strong and silent type if you will. I'm always a sucker for those. I'm not so impressed about the ending though. I really thought only one could win, and I felt as though it was a little bit of a cop out on the authors end to let both Peeta and Katniss win. And with the capitol being mad at them? Where is that going to go?

I hear the second book is about Peeta and Katniss going back to district 12 but living with the wrath of the capitol. I'm also sure there is going to be some type of love triangle going on with Gale, Katniss and Peeta. Do you think Gale was in love with Katniss before she left? She didn't seem to think of him in that way.

And did anyone else get all teary eyed when Rue died? Her death was the hardest for me. Especially because of how young she is. I hope in the next book they talk more about the capitol and why they are why they are. I don't understand their reasoning very much for having the hunger games. Except to remind everyone how much power they have.

What did y'all think?

6 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I think The Hunger Games are supposed to be sort of reminiscent of the Gladiators of ancient Rome. Bloodsports have typically been a favorite of totalitarian regimes.

As for the two winners, I think the way Suzanne Collins handled that managed to avoid the cop out. The weak two-winner-ending would have been if there had never been a "rule change", Peeta and Katniss ended up being the last two standing and THEN the capitol just decided, "Hey! Two winners!" I think their defiance and their decision not to win without each other after having believed there really was a rule change showed a lot of thought.

It's like when Katniss covered Rue in the flowers. She wasn't keenly aware of her rebellion until much later. Katniss has a lot more power than she realizes and I think Peeta is going to be a strong ally is forever changing the world of Panem.

And, just as a btw, for some reason I didn't really tear up when Rue died or when Katniss buried her in the flowers. I guess I wasn't really surprised because I knew at some point Rue would have to die. But the part that tears actually running down my face was when Katniss received the gift of bread from District 11.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book and I will definitely be reading the other two when they're available.

Brandon Wilde said...

I just finished it, and I loved this book for the most part. The ending got me really anxious and kind of depressed, but of course that's because they want you to read the next one. The thing that bugged me most was the weird monsters because that just sort of came out of nowhere, and then was not explained, nor did it really go anywhere.

I definitely agree that there needs to be a lot more about the capitol, and why no one seems to question them. What I really wanted to happen was for several of the contestants to be left at the end and just stop fighting each other. What could the capitol do if they just refused to keep fighting? I'm sure they would send monsters out to eat everyone, but their power over the people's minds would be severely damaged.

Shawn said...

I, of course, really enjoyed this book! I had looked at it as being so real, because of the way people are nowadays with their reality shows. I could see how the next step would be to have the characters in a reality show try to take out one another. So, it felt almost like it could happen in real life....

The only thing that bothered me once in a while was when there were supposedly cameras EVERYWHERE! Even in a cave---small and out of the way----I couldn't visualize those parts, as they didn't seem real to me---it was hard for me to make sense of it.

I loved the protaganist in this book----loved her courage and chutzpah----she was how I would love to be! I also loved the fact that she had so much compassion for others----and I, actually, really liked how the author handled the ending, with Katniss and Peeta refusing to kill each other----it forced the Capitol to change things---for me, it felt like the first real step that they had of true rebellion.

I am really excited to read the next book(s)to see how the author handles their return to their District. I am also looking forward to when Katniss and Peeta have to train the next group of chosen ones and how that works into the story....

I really liked the writing, by the way----thought that for a teen book, it was pretty sophisticated and kept me reading. I just couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next!

I was a bit touched and got emotional several times during the book---it was just so hard to realize that these kids were asked to actually kill each other and it was a bit emotional to take that ride with them.

By the way----if anyone finds a great deal on the new book---let us know, OK?

Looking forward to the new one!

Unknown said...

Rach, I don't think it was a cop out... But only because of the way she wrote it in. She made wrote it in such a way that she, like the Capital, had no choice but to save them both. It would have been too easy for Katniss to kill Peeta or herself leaving only one winner. Everything else called for a a final rebellion in the Hunger Games, and that was it. I think that act was more of a beginning rebellion in the rest of the Capital though.

Brandon, I totally agree with the monster things. I want to know where they went and how they came into being... Do all dead contestants get turned into those, or was it just a one time thing?

Karen, I was the same way with Rue's death. It was sad, but I also knew it would have to happen eventually. However, it is interesting what happened with the bread and the gift of her life Katniss received from that district. I think the act of Katniss burying Rue in the flowers opened doors for unity or camaraderie that was not present before... Which is dangerous to the Capital, and they know it.

Shawn, I absolutely loved reading this book. I don't think I put it down for too long in the couple of days I had to read it. I'm excited to read the next book and to see where it goes, I have some ideas, but we will have to see. Thanks for picking such a good one!

Shawn said...

Hey all! I just had to let you know that I just got the sequel a few days ago----and I am soooo excited to read it!! But don't worry---I will be reading The Shack first.... :)

Just had to let you know that it was out!!

Mrs. O said...

I enjoyed reading this book and I love the author's imagination.

3 things that bugged:
1. The cameras EVERYwhere (even in the cave)
2. That Thresh spared Katniss - seemed unbelievable
3. The werewolf muttants at the end.

Also, it seems as if Katniss can only care for people in a sisterly way - she does not (right now) seem capable of romantic love.

I love Peeta and his goodness. Love his character. Rue was my second favorite and Katniss last. I love her for her determination and survival instinct. Somehow I want those two to lead a rebellion.

The ending seemed sort of *Romeo and Juliet* to me.